Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Top 5 Bird Pictures of 2011

     During 2011 was the first time that I actually got real into bird watching. It all started during January 2011 when I bought a bird feeder and hung it outside my bedroom window. I have always been interested in birds and wildlife but having the birds at my window every day and every morning at 5:00am really got me into trying to learn about and identify them. During a snow storm during the beginning of February there were so many birds taking advantage of the plentiful food at my feeder that I sometimes had to refill it twice a day and there were always dozens of birds flocking around my back yard. I soon made it a habit to try to photograph as many different species of birds at my feeder. After a while I started to learn all the birds species in the area and found great satisfaction in identifying a new species. It got to be such an obsession that I soon started to go on walks just to look for birds. Hanging a bird feeder up close to a window or patio is a great way to get started in bird watching and a source of hours of entertainment while watching birds come investigate and use the feeder. The following photos are pictures of birds that I took through my window while they were at my feeder or pictures I took while walking around.

This first bird is a Purple Finch. Because my feeder was hung outside my bedroom window it was always the first thing that I saw when I walked out of my bathroom. I was used to seeing the usual Cardinal or Chickadee but when I saw this guy I got super excited.  I remember that I was still in my towel after taking a shower when the little Purple Finch landed and I managed to snap a few pictures and fortunately he stayed around for a good while and I saw him again the next day. He only stayed around for two days and then took off to wherever he was heading. 

This cute little guy is a Black Capped Chickadee. They are very small birds and often fly around in small flocks during winter months. They really liked the sunflower seeds in the bird seed mix and would always grab one and fly of to a branch and peck it open with their little chisel like beak and then proceed to grab another one and do the same with it.

This is a Red Winged Blackbird. I took this picture while walking around the woods.


Gold Finch 

Female Ruby Throated Hummingbird
This picture was taken through a window at my grandparents house in Illinois

Hope you enjoyed these pictures. I sure enjoy taking them and being able to share my passion for bird photography with others. Its amazing to see up close how truly amazing God's creation is. 

For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.   Romans 1:20

2 comments:

  1. Hey Austin! We really enjoyed looking at your blog. Christian loves the bird pictures-keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey from Grandma King. Just now went back to your blog to check for updates. You are doing a fantastic job of writing, Austin. Very interesting to read and your pictures are beautiful! Looking forward to additions!

    ReplyDelete