Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hoffman's Woodpecker

     The other day I had a few hours to kill after school so I brought my camera and was hoping to maybe photograph a few birds. I set out hoping to see a few Yigüirros, better known as Clay Colored Robins. I saw quite a few of them and hope to share some pictures in a later post but I happened to see one particular bird that really stood out. This bird was the Hoffman's Woodpecker. The Hoffman Woodpecker is unique to Central America ranging from southern Honduras to Costa Rica. At first I spotted a bird that had the wings of a Woodpecker but looked small. Turns out that it was a baby and I was able to observe and watch the to parent Woodpeckers feed this youngster. I managed to get lucky and get a picture of the Male Woodpecker feeding the youngster.


Male Hoffman's Woodpecker feeding Youngster


Young Hoffman's Woodpecker
 20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.  Genesis 1:20-21 

No comments:

Post a Comment